Monday, January 23, 2012

Sundance Review: Detropia



Rachel Grady and Heidi Ewing’s Detropia probably isn’t the definitive documentary about the collapse of Detroit. It doesn’t provide the kind of historical detail and social context that you might need if you wanted to understand the issues behind the Motor City’s economic decline. No, Detropia is as much a ghost story as it is a documentary. It’s an impressionistic journey through the gray soul of a major American metropolis that is slipping – nay, has slipped – into nothingness, lonely but not quite empty.

That’s not to say that Detropia is some kind of experimental tone poem or something. Grady and Ewing give us a number of lively characters – the president of a UAW chapter, for example, or the owner of a local club that’s hit hard times, or a couple of young artists who have moved into a blighted, cheap part of the city – and use them to explore this environment. So we get, for example, scenes from an auto show where one of our protagonists marvels at the relative cheapness of a Chinese electric car versus a Chevy Volt. Or glimpses of a union meeting voting to not even bother to vote on a particularly cruel deal to reduce their pay. But that’s just what these are – glimpses. You could imagine Frederick Wiseman making a four hour epic about that aforementioned union meeting (or even that auto show).

Grady and Ewing aren’t interested so much in direct observation as they are in giving us a kind of emotional truth about what it’s like to be in this place. So, Detropia privileges mood as much as it does context. There are extraordinary images here – an overhead shot of solitary, spectral figures walking along empty streets, or the blasted side of a demolished building waving uncertainly in the breeze, like some drunken beast. The result is a marvel, an achingly beautiful film about a town that once lay at the heart of the empire, and now seems to be drifting off its forgotten edges. 

4 comments:

  1. Detropia's filmmakers stay out of the picture, hanging back to allow the viewer to absorb the meaning of Detroit's fate. It is even more complex than we thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was diagnosed of herpes virus, I have tried all possible means to get cure but all my effort proved abortive, until a friend of mine introduced me to a herbal doctor called Chief Dr Lucky, who prepare herbal medicine to cure all kind of diseases including herpes virus (Herpes), when i contacted this herbal doctor via his email, he sent me herpes virus herbal medicine via courier service, when i received the herbal medicine he gave me step by step instructions on how to apply it, when i applied it as instructed i was totally cured from the virus within 3 weeks of usage. Contact this great herbal doctor today to get your cure. 

      Visit website : https://chiefdrluckyherbaltherapy.wordpress.com/
      What's App number : +2348132777335 
      Via Email : chiefdrlucky@gmail.com

      Delete
  2. i want to tell the world about the great and mighty spell caster called Dr .osofo my husband was cheating on me and no longer committed to me and our kids when i asked him what the problem was he told me he has fell out of love for me and wanted a divorce i was so heart broken i cried all day and night but he left home i was looking for something online when i saw an article how the great and powerful Dr osofo have helped so many in similar situation like mine he email address was there so i sent him an email telling him about my problem he told me he shall return back to me within 48hrs i did everything he asked me to do the nest day to my greatest surprise my husband came back home and was crying and begging for me to forgive and accept him back he can also help you  contact  him on Email ( osofo.48hoursolutioncenter@gmail.com ) 
    whasAPP him +2349065749952    


    ReplyDelete
  3. God bless Dr. IYASE for his marvelous work in my life, I was diagnosed of HERPES since 2018 and I was taking my medicines, I wasn't satisfied i needed to get the HERPES out of my system, I searched about some possible cure for HERPES i saw a comment about Dr.IYASE, how he cured HERPES with his herbal medicine, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my health, he sent me the medicine through UPS SPEED POST. I took the medicine as prescribed by him and 17 days later i was cured from HERPES, thank you email him directly driyaseherblahome@gmail.com website  driyaseherblahome@gmail.com    Dr IYASE ONCE AGAIN THANK YOU SIR
    Dr IYASE cure the flowing virus, or add him on whatsapp/calls directly  +2347057052206  //    +255688381932
    1 Get your Ex back ( Marriage problem solution)
    2 diabetes cure
    3 ringing ear
    4 herpes cure
    5 Fibroid cure
    6 HPV cure
    7 Hiv
    8 Cancer
    9 pregnancy herbal medicine
    10 prostate enlargement11 Hepatitis B  
    12 Riches Spell 
    THANKS FOR YOUR SUPORT EVERYONE 

    ReplyDelete